Thursday, January 03, 2008

Back to Acrylics


HOLIDAYS, BE GONE! Wow, I hate that stretch from Halloween to New Years. The days are getting short, darkness surrounds me, it's getting colder, I'm more and more broke, and I'm alone. Argh! Depressing, eh? Sorry. But it's over now, and I'm working on painting. ....
I've figured-out that I don't have the right airbrush for fine art, so, at the moment I'm returning to acrylic brush painting. My step-sister (in St. Cloud) wants some fairies painted on her daughter's bedroom walls, so I'm starting with a Tink-like design, just for practice's sake. And, yes, it's the same design I posted a while back when I was experimenting with airbrushing. It makes a good comparison. .....
Some of the drawing was traced from a Disney design online, but most was freehand, and, of course, I did all the acrylic painting, which was the point of the exercise (as opposed to drawing exercise: I get plenty of that already!) ...I'm figuring-out skin tones, blending, and whatnot, and, man, it's TOUGH, especially on drywall like this. I mean, getting all those details, and not having a PEN or something... Jees...
The figure in the photo is 9 1/2 inches tall. ...It didn't really take too long. I really like the IMMEDIACY of acrylics, actually, and the simplicity. Just a brush and paint, and you're set.
...Anyway, I see some problems with this painting, but overall I guess it's acceptable. The legs are too dark. The face is rather cartoony. The hair is BAD. You can't see her ear. Oh, well...

1 comment:

Mandy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.