Sunday, August 19, 2007

Architectural Illustration


Hmm, this is interesting. It's exactly the opposite from live cartoon illustration, and that's satisfying. There's some mathematics involved, and an engineers scale, and the use of a technical pen, and I think I might love this. We'll see. Apparently there's a ready market for portraits of homes. I'm very curious. ... This quick photo is of a ruined work. It got wet and smeared on my boat during a surprise rainstorm. But it's my first "home portrait," and everyone says it looks great. Hmm... Part of me thinks it looks as good as anything I see on the Internet, but, then again, I made a lot of mistakes. ... This could be an excellent addition to my freelance career. I REALLY like my Rapidograph technical pen. (This was my first time using one.)... This work took about 15 hours, but a lot of that can be attributed to the simple fact that I was learning to use the scale, and the pen, and the architectural techniques, et cetera. More to come!...?

2 comments:

Esly Carrero said...

This looks really, really, really cool! I think you should take a close-up photo of it.
Either way, it's really nice.

Houses, to me can get really frustrating with all of the straight lines & stuff. For people that do alot of drawings with buildings & layouts (for instance someone like, Pat).. he always used a lot of rulers & graphs to help him with the foreshortening & stuff.
Anyways, I look forward to seeing more stuff like that. Maybe you should hang it up on the inside of your new boat & title it: "Home Sweet Home".

Keelan Parham said...

Very nice, Tim!