Wednesday, June 04, 2008

My process... Draw, Trace, Pounce, Paint...


So this is what I've invented. Since velour paper is so unforgiving of mistakes, an excellent initial sketch/cartoon is necessary, and doing it on a separate piece of paper is recommended. I did this sketch WAY too fast, and it was pretty lousy, but I did that for a reason (...see previous post).
So, the process is this. DRAW the face on normal drawing paper. Next, TRACE the contours onto tracing paper. Next, turn the tracing paper over, and use a POUNCE WHEEL to trace along the lines and make those little holes. (With the paper turned over, the "indentations" in the little pounced holes face UP on the other side.) Turn paper right-side-up. Grab a soft pastel, and trace again along the the lines, which are now full of little rough holes. The pastel will get "knocked-off" into the little holes, and fall onto the velour paper. And that's it! ...Now the hard part begins...

2 comments:

Esly Carrero said...

okay.. so, yeah.. I hadn't even ever HEARD of a pounce wheel until I googled it. lol! I've seen them.. but never really knew how people used them. This is a great teaching method.

I think.. I may even havea pounce wheel somewhere here in all of my things. lol. I'll have to look around later.

I really need to buy myself some velour paper and see what all of this fuss is about it. I'm nearly afraid to use my pastels. I have to see if what variety they sell here in the stores (here in Australia) before I go using all of them. What if I run out of a color I need????

Anyhow.. for now.. I may stick with the pastels from my "Painter Program" lol!

Sad thing is.. digital is not as unique unfortunately.

But it'll be great practice.. all the same.

okay.. well, thanks for sharing. It'll help me expand my horizons a little. Great post Tim!!! :)

JimmyPereira said...

Yeah, Tim. That is a great way to get the drawing down as painlessly as possible. It looks like your making some progress with the pastels. It's kinda weird in a way (concerning the French artist in the previous post), but his portrait style looks exactly like one of my art teachers in college (Brian Jekel). Concerning the gal, you seemed to capture a lot of the tones in her face (eventhough it was a flash photo picture- those can be really tough).