Saturday, June 13, 2009

Inspirations... We Be Madmen

I'm beginning to think that I'm at a stage in my life in which I'm finally trying to define myself, and I'm enjoying it. "Hey Tim, you draw too slow and detailed!" Yes, I draw slowly and with detail. "Hey Tim, you're not really the 'life of the party,' are you!" No, I'm not the life of the party. "Hey Tim, loosen up or something, stop thinking so much, and quit making such bizarre life decisions." Sorry, but I have always been analytical and strange, and have moved my soul and body according to a distant siren's call. ...There is a siren calling me, I think, far away, shrouded in mist, but I hear her voice, her faint, beautiful call.

And I find like-minded souls.

(Go to www.AtomVoyages.com for more detail. The below notes are from that site.)

Alberto Torroba:





"In 1990, Alberto Torroba sailed alone across the Pacific from Panama to the Philippines. That’s remarkable enough. However, what made his voyage truly amazing is that his boat was a 15-foot open dugout canoe made from a single tree. Two years later, on a beach in a remote island of the Philippines, he built a catamaran from plywood and bamboo, married a local girl from the island, and continued his voyage to China.

"The tall, longhaired Alberto is one of the truly free spirits in this world. He is not one to follow trends or take advice. He had spent his early years working on his family’s sprawling ranch in Argentina. In his early 20’s, he turned his back on ranching to explore the world in small boats. Over a period of several years he nearly circumnavigated South America in a variety of open-decked sail-powered fishing boats and became highly skilled in handling the vulnerable little vessels in all types of seas. He went on to cross the South Pacific in a 24-foot engineless sloop, and later to round New Guinea in a 19-foot outrigger canoe. "

*******************

I've mentioned Alberto before, a couple years ago, but now I realize how similar he is to me, or at least it seems to me. He has been doing things I CRAVE to do, things I've done partially, and am now actively planning. The point is, I see that my strange inclinations have precedents. We madmen are rather rare, but we run into each other every once in a while.

1 comment:

Esly Carrero said...

"We madmen are rather rare.. "
HA! That's what YOU think! lol.

Tim, there are many Alberts!
The rebels that went their own way to rule their own life because they felt they didn't fit into the rest of society or because they felt nobody except "nature" could understand them the best.

But overall.. someday each of us must face the fact that we will all submit to a higher authority outside of ourselves. You know the one.

*The one who commands and raises the stormy winds, which lifts up the waves of the sea.

*The one who rules the sea & says to them, "This far you may come, but no farther, And here your proud waves must stop!’"

*The one who spreads out the heavens, And treads on the waves of the sea.

*He who calms the storm, So that its waves are still.

*He who is mightier than the noise of many waters, Than the mighty waves of the sea.

The madmen are those who reject the "One and only" that holds the power over all creation.

And in the end.. they find there is nowhere to run.