Thursday, June 11, 2009

Name Contest!

So my new boat needs a name. Someone suggest one. OK?

...All right, so I know that's not really a "contest," so I apologize for getting everyone excited. I would like to name her, though, so somebody help me. Thanks!

Today I got to work on "her." (See, I really need a name.) Actually, I've worked on her the last two days.

First thing, I had to bend the aluminum plate back into place at the bottom of the mast. It had been damaged into a 90 degree angle by someone towing her on her last voyage. Amazingly, I got everything to line-up, and it works fine, fitting into the "pulpit" which sits atop the foredeck:




Next, the rudder I was given does NOT fit this boat. Again, apparently on its last voyage, the skipper lost the rudder/tiller assembly overboard. I bought a 5/16th-inch threaded rod at Home Depot, and used it to connect the dissimilar parts. Looks like it might work fine:



Finally, I had to figure-out how the roller furling jib works. I've never touched one before. Jay, the co-owner of Lake Fairview Marina, helped me out greatly. And it works great!:



At the end of the day, she looked like she was coming together:


Next, I'll get the mainsail on, and get the mainsheet assembly, er, assembled. Couple of missing parts there.
...And then I'll stick her in the water and see if she floats. I already know I need to replace the centerboard gasket at the bottom of the boat, but I don't think that's necessary just yet. And the self-bailer needs to be replaced, but I think "it'll do" for now.

1 comment:

Esly Carrero said...

How about the "Wobbly-Kamikaze".
lol.
Just joking.

Maybe this will inspire your thinking of a name..
*spirit of essentia
*liquid essence
*serenity
*escape
*summer wind
*heavy metal
*winds will
*Sea-Nyle
*Wild Blue Yonder
*Tuna Helper
*Full Throttle
*Wet Ev Oar
*Ta-Keel-La
*Reflection

okay.. I can't think of anymore.
Hope that helped! lol.